A previous article published on Roads2Future analysed the placement scenario in the financial domain. Keeping in line with that, this report takes a long look at how Marketing professionals are absorbed in the industry.
Marketing along with Sales forms one of the major pillars of a business structure. Any company, irrespective of what it does, requires a marketing team for its healthy functioning.
Myth #1- Marketing is only ad creation.
This is not true. Of course, creating ad campaigns is a part of marketing, it is not the only part. There are so many other things like managing the company, brand and the name, launch and promotion of new products, researching the customer base etc.
Now. to analyse the marketing domain, it is usually the highest grossing sector. Almost all the top packages of any B-School are generally always bagged by Marketing & Sales Profiles. Also, due to its vast number of functions and dynamics, there is always a big basket of roles to choose from. And since it forms an important part of almost every company, there is also a long list of companies that hire in this domain.
- 27.7% of the total batch at IIM Rohtak opted for placements in Marketing & Sales.
- At IIM Bangalore, around 10% of the batch chose marketing & sales profiles.
Job Roles Offered & Sectors
As is the trend with B-Schools, they are divided into segments, commonly known as Tiers. Companies offer roles and packages depending upon where a B-School stands on the rank chart.
Myth #2- Marketing & Sales are same.
Marketing is all about getting the customers interested in the goods and services being sold. Sales however refers to all the activities that lead to selling of those goods and services.
Most commonly the roles offered in this domain are-
- Area Sales Manager
- Brand Strategist
- Business Development Manager
- Content Writer Manager
- Digital Marketing
- Event Planner
- Marketing Communication Specialist
- Product Manager
- Public Relations Specialist
- Relationship Manager
- Sales Manager
- SEO Manager
- Social Media Marketer
Obviously like every other preference and decision, the job roles offered are also affected by the college rank, listed below are some job roles offered only in Tier I and sometimes Tier II colleges-
- Brand Manager
- Corporate Sales Manager
- Market Research Analyst
- Marketing Analytics Specialist
- Advertising Manager
- Marketing Associate
- Campaign Marketer
- Marketing Specialist
Although the college plays a very important role in one’s career, an article in The Economic Times in 2017 reported that most sale-leaders are not from Tier-I college.
- Marketing and Sales majors are hired in almost all sectors like FMCG, IT etc. 22% of the batch at IIM Indore opted for Sales & Marketing and got roles of Product Management, Sales Manager and Brand Manager among others.
- At NMIMS out of the S&M majors-
- 14% got placed in Automobile, Oil & Gas
- 14% chose BFSI
- FMCG absorbed 28% of the marketing students
- 35% of the total marketing candidates chose IT/Analytics
- While 5% chose Logistics, 4% opted for Pharmaceutical sector
- 34.8% of the S&M students at SPJIMR were placed in FMCG firms.
- 27% of the students at XIMB chose Marketing & Sales Companies.
Companies & Packages
As marketing professionals are hired sector wise, their packages also depend upon the sectors along with the company that hires. And this variety adds a lot of options for students to choose from.
The companies that regularly hire in the marketing and sales domain are-
- Tech Mahindra
- Asian Paints
- Tata Motors
- Tata Steel
- Maruti Suzuki
- Banks like HDFC, Axis etc.
The above list isn’t exhaustive but mentions common companies that recruit marketing majors from most B-Schools. But like for all majors, there are certain dream companies that only hire the creamiest layer from top colleges-
- Colgate Palmolive
Again, the list isn’t comprehensive but it gives a clear picture of what a marketing student has in store for themselves.
- Google hired students from FMS Delhi, NMIMS Mumbai, MDI Gurgaon and SCMHRD among others.
- Microsoft hired students from colleges like IIM Calcutta and SPJIMR.
Apart from working for big companies, marketing and sales domain also boasts of offering high packages often.
- SIBM bagged the highest package of Rs. 34.26 LPA in their S&M domain.
- The highest package at SCMHRD was Rs. 30.3 LPA, the average was Rs. 15.6 LPA and the median package was Rs. 14 LPA.
- XIMB saw the highest package for S&M domain at Rs. 24.5 LPA while the average was Rs. 13.5 LPA.
- IIM K saw the highest package of Rs. 30 LPA while the average was Rs. 18.24 LPA which was 6% above the previous year’s average package.
- The highest international offer at XLRI stood at Rs. 58.5 LPA from the S&M domain.
- GIM Goa bagged the highest package of Rs. 34 LPA in Marketing & Sales while the average was Rs. 11.55 LPA.
While the college ranking of B-Schools works pretty well for top marketing MBA colleges too, there are certain colleges whose MBA in Marketing and Sales program is better than others. Listed below are top 15 Indian Colleges for MBA in S&M–
- PGP- IIM Ahmedabad
- PGDM- IIM Calcutta
- PGP- IIM Bangalore
- MBA- FMS Delhi
- PGPM- IIM Lucknow
- BM- XLRI Jamshedpur
- PGDM C- MICA Ahmedabad
- PGPM- MDI Gurgaon
- PGDM- SPJIMR Mumbai
- MMS- JBIMS Mumbai
- PGP- IIM Kozhikode
- PGPM- IIM Indore
- MBA- IIFT Delhi
- PGPM- IIM Shillong
- MBA- IIFT Kolkata
NOTE- This report talks about the final placements of MBA colleges for the batch 2017-19. It must be noted that the trends, figures and facts mentioned in the above report might not remain similar for upcoming placements in light of the recent pandemic.