With an increase in the number of companies wanting to hire Indian professionals and more and more companies wanting to setup offices in India, obviously there has been a steep increase in the employment of MBA grads. They have been getting better packages, better job roles and a greater number of offers. Obviously, this has affected all the streams but we will be talking about one particular sector- Banking, Financial Services & Insurance aka The Financial Area.
Now when someone plans on getting a management degree, there are a few major factors that go into choosing the right college-
- Job roles offered
- Range of package
- Companies that approach the campus
When it comes to finance, it has never been the stream with maximum student strength nor has finance ever offered the highest package to a college, it has always floated between second and third position when it comes to placements.
- At IIM-C, 21% of the students chose financials while 12% students at IIM-B also chose the same.
- MBA in Finance boasts of almost 26% share in all the MBA job opportunities globally.
But year on year it has been noticed that more and more students have shown a knack and an inclination towards the financial side of business. As this report pens down all the details about the placement scenario of MBA colleges, one has to understand that the parameters assessed can’t be narrowed down or generalized for all colleges. As the colleges are divided into Tier I, II and so on, so does the packages and companies also differ.
When talking about segregation of colleges on the basis of Tier I, II & III, it is obvious that the job roles offered by the recruiters also vary. There are certain roles that are offered by companies across colleges but at the same time some core-finance roles are only offered in selective-usually Tier I-colleges.
Listed below are some of the roles that are offered in almost all the colleges-
- Accounts Manager
- Business Analyst
- Relationship Manager
- Finance Officer
- Research Analyst
- Insurance Manager
- Retail Banking
- Bank Manager
- Management Consultant
However, there are certain job roles that are opened only for top colleges like XLRI, IIM A, B, C, K etc., these are-
- Front-End Investment Banking
- Wealth Management
- Credit & Risk Management
- Corporate Finance
- Asset Management
- Derivative Structuring
- Hedge Fund Management
- Private Equity
Although these roles are both highly paid and highly valued in the industry, their distribution remains skewed.
- The dominance of BFSI (banking, financial services and insurance) can easily be seen through the fact that nearly 25% of the entire batch of IIM-Shillong opted to choose offered from only one industrial domain.
- Faculty of Management Studies at Banaras Hindu University saw 47% share of BFSI in the overall placement numbers.
- SPJIMR saw companies like Amazon and Nestle among others offering the roles of Corporate Finance & Strategy.
- Investment Banking was offered by Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan Chase at IIM-K.
- Roles offered at NMIMS included Portfolio Valuation, Project Advisory & Global Investment Research in addition to those mentioned above.
Recruiters & Packages
Now when it comes to average package for finance roles across B-Schools, the range is quite wide, and not only for finance profiles but for all the jobs. The companies offer different packages to different colleges depending upon their standing on the rank chart. IIMs and other Tier I colleges get the highest packages in almost all the domains. It is not uncommon for a company to offer different packages at different institutes for the same role.
Now when it comes to recruitment, almost all the companies need finance professionals but only core-finance companies offer core roles. Listed below are some of the companies that frequently hire for financial roles-
- Banks like HDFC, Axis etc
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Accenture and many more
Apart from the above-mentioned companies, there are certain companies termed as dream companies that only visit some specific colleges. They are-
- Goldman Sachs
- The Boston Consulting Group
- Morgan Stanley
- Bain & Co.
- JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- McKinsey & Co.
- Duff & Phelps
But these above lists aren’t exhaustive in anyway and if searched off-campus, almost every company hires finance graduates.
Coming onto the package scenario, again as mentioned it varies depending upon the standing of a college on the rank chart. While an average finance package in a Tier II college may be around Rs. 8-12 LPA, for a Tier I college the package jumps to a solid Rs. 17 LPA or higher.
- The average package in IIM-K was about Rs. 18 LPA, the highest reach Rs. 38 LPA.
- IIM-C saw the average package of finance around Rs. 26 LPA while the highest was Rs. 50 LPA.
- The average package for BFSI in TAPMI was around Rs. 10 LPA.
- In IIM-A, the highest finance package was Rs. 40 LPA and the average was Rs. 23 LPA.
Return on Investment (ROI)
Return on Investment is termed as how long it might take to repay student loans or to recoup the cost of an MBA program depends on the circumstances of each individual student.
Although ROI isn’t a very good judge of a college, it somewhat does help while choosing the right college. However, this shouldn’t be the only factor taken into consideration when choosing a B-School.
Given below is a list of college with best ROI-
- FMS, Delhi
- JBIMS, Mumbai
- DSE, Delhi University
- UBS, Panjab University
- IRMA, Anand
- NITIE, Mumbai
- VGSoM, IIT Kharagpur
- SIMSREE, Mumbai
- BITS, Pilani
- DIME, IIT Kanpur
- IIFM, Bhopal
There are many more colleges but the aforementioned colleges have a higher ranking and better ROI.
Best Finance Colleges
While all colleges offer an option to major in finance, the below mentioned courses and colleges are the top 10 in the country-
- PGDM- IIM Calcutta
- PGP- IIM Ahmedabad
- PGP- IIM Bangalore
- MMS- JBIMS Mumbai
- MBA- FMS Delhi
- PGP- ISB Hyderabad
- PGPM- IIM Lucknow
- BM- XLRI Jamshedpur
- PGPM- MDI Gurgaon
- PGDM- SPJIMR Mumbai
So if finance is the domain you want to choose, then find the right college for yourself and get going.
NOTE- This report talks about the final placements of MBA colleges for the batch 2017-19. It must be noted that the trends, figures and facts mentioned in the above report might not remain similar for upcoming placements in light of the recent pandemic.