On June 11, 2020, the NIRF (National Institutional Rating Framework) Management Ranking 2020 has been e-released by Honorable Minister of Human Resource Department, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank”. The Education Minister along with Minister of State, Sanjay Dhotre, chairman of AICTE, Anil Saharsrabudhe, and UGC chairman DP Singh announced the ranking through a webinar.
NIRF was introduced by HRD Ministry to evaluate the performance of Institutes throughout India concerning varying parameters. This year, it is the 5th edition of NIRF Rankings and for the first time, Dental colleges have been ranked and listed as well. Around 3800 institutes registered themselves for rankings which demonstrated a 20% upsurge compared to last year. There are 10 categories of the rankings which include the management institutes too.
So here is a list of the top B-schools, their rank, and scores evaluated according to NIRF Rankings for Management, 2020. The scores have been calculated on the base of 5 parameters comprising graduation outcome; research and professional practices; teaching, learning & resources; outreach and inclusivity plus the general perception of the Institute. IIM- Ahmedabad has emerged as the top Management Institute and managed to dethrone IIM- Bangalore, thus occupying the position Rank 2 followed by IIM-Calcutta at Rank 3, IIM-Lucknow at Rank 4, and IIT Kharagpur at Rank 5. While IIM-Calcutta and Lucknow still retain their position from last year, IIM-Indore went down the list at Rank 7. IIT-Bombay has been replaced at Rank 10 by MDI Gurgaon in comparison to 2019 and thus entered the top 10 brackets for the 1st time since 2018.
13 IIM’s have secured ranks in the top 35. Along with, other popular institutes offering MBA/PGDM courses have been ranked which include XLRI, SPJIMR, SIBM, GLIM, IIFT, NMIMS, XIMB, ICFAI, IRMA, and KJ Somaiya. All the 6 IIT’s have secured ranks in the top 20 for providing Management courses by their Department.
The top 10 Private B-schools have been as listed as below:
- Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI)
- Management Development Institute
- S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management
- Great Lakes Institute of Management
- SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- ICFAI Foundation for Higher Education
- T A Pai Management Institute
- International Management Institute
- Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB)
Quite a few changes have been observed in regard to Rankings. The Major Comparison of 2019 v/s 2020 NIRF Rankings are as drawn below:
- NITIE Mumbai has jumped upwards by 17 places from Rank 29 last year to Rank 12 in 2020
- IIM Ranchi has moved up by 10 places from Rank 28 to 18
- XIMB Bhubaneshwar has moved up by 13 places i.e. from Rank 44 to 31 in 2020
- BIMTECH Greater Noida has moved up the list by 10 places i.e. from Rank 57 to 47 in 2020
- IMT Nagpur has moved up the list by 10 places from Rank 70 last year to Rank 60 in 2020
- IRMA Anand went down the lost by 21 places thus positioned at Rank 72 in 2020 against Rank 51 in 2019
- NIT Tiruchirappalli has gone down by 18 places from Rank 17 to Rank 35 in 2020.